Big Finish Audio “Quick Review”
For me, the first three of these Big Finish Audio dramas were sort of like a warm-up for what the range could really bring; and The Land of the Dead is the first of these that really stands up along-side the TV series. As I’ve stated before, not being a big fan of the Peter Davison era worried me about these plays, but I have been pleasantly surprised to find out that his audio plays are usually my favorites. Sarah Sutton returns to reprise her role as Nyssa, a companion I actually really liked during this time.
The story follows The Doctor and Nyssa as they pop up in frigid Alaska in the dead of winter. They stumble upon an encampment where a crazed billionaire named Shaun Brett is trying to build a shrine for his dead father from parts of the surrounding landscape. This themed museum of sorts includes a rather ghoulish room consisting of old bones that freak out the hired Inuit laborers. They believe that such a room will bring the vengeance of nature upon them; and this superstition isn’t helped when monsters begin to attack.
The acting in this play is very strong in almost every way from the principle cast to the background characters. I was really worries that the voices for the various Inuit people would be off, as many UK based actors would not have a lot of knowledge on their language and culture. Aside from a few minor UK-isms, I think they did a fairly good job, and kept the whole thing believable.
The play does a great job of helping the listener imagine exactly what the villains look like, which is a step up from the last few were it was sort of hard to imagine what the Big finish crew were really going for. All in all a very enjoyable tale!
My Rating 4 out of 5
- New Inuit art magazine launches (cbc.ca)
- Bred to survive, Canada’s iconic sled dogs face their greatest threat (theglobeandmail.com)
- NYCC: Fifth Doctor Peter Davison Looks Back On 50 Years of “Who” (spinoff.comicbookresources.com)
- Good news everyone (writerinplay.wordpress.com)
- Entrenched in tradition, Inuit men grapple with widening gender gap in Nunavut’s workforce (news.nationalpost.com)
- New Look For Big Finish’s Doctor Who Range (theconsultingdetectivesblog.wordpress.com)
- Inuit Art Magazine Launched! (museumofinuitartblog.wordpress.com)
- NEWS: Inuit want “immediate action” on climate change: ICC (nunatsiaqonline.ca)
- Cheap Housing (allthingshipblog.com)
- NEWS: New national Inuit leader Audla assembles his to-do list (nunatsiaqonline.ca)